Common transfer files hold data about a student or groups of students. They are designed to work with other MIS systems and other external organisations.
To export a CTF you would go to Admin > Students > Export CTF.
The next step is to select the type of CTF you require.
There are different types of common transfer files that you can choose from, which are explained below.
Full CTF (with or without assessments)
Choose this option if a child is leaving your school, and you need to send information about that child to their new school. Please see the attached link to see what data is included in a full CTF: DfE Common Transfer Files
In order for children to show as available for a CTF export they must be assigned to a destination school first. This can be done individually via the Extended area on the student profile or you can assign a destination school to multiple students via Admin > Students > Group Updater.
Fill in the curriculum year and form group of the student(s) whose file you wish to export. If you leave the Form blank, you will be presented with the whole year group and you can export a CTF for all students in a particular year. Then click Choose.
If you are sending the CTF to another school, and you don't know the codes for the destination LEA and school, click on the link Find School and LEA reference numbers which takes you to the Get Information about Schools website where you can find the necessary information.
Any former students in the list will be RED in colour and you can select students who have left during the current academic year.
You can either select the students whose files you wish to export or click Check All to export CTF files for the whole year or form group.
Then click Generate CTF at the base of the page. You can then upload this file to another site (e.g. Target Tracker).
Go to the same page, instead selecting the type of partial CTF file to generate.
Partial CTFs are configured to only contain the information required for certain processes (e.g. Reception Baseline Assessment or Children Missing in Education). They hold limited information, but tailored to requirements.
- Minimal CTF - Contains basic student information and address only.
- FSP - Used to export exam data for the foundation stage profile. Choose this option to send assessment data to an external body. This CTF requires external assessment data.
- Reception Baseline - This CTF is configured for current students in Reception with basic information such as Name, UPN, Date of Birth, Sex, Entry Date and Form Name. Click on Choose, ensure all students have a UPN issued to them, then Check All and download the CTF at the base of the student table. This can then be uploaded to the Baseline ePortal (BeP).
- Phonics - Used to export exam data about phonics assessment. Choose this option to send assessment data to an external body. This CTF requires external assessment data. You can choose to include year 2 Phonics results in the CTF if needed as well as former students.
- KS1, KS2, KS3 - Used to export exam data about KS1, KS2, and KS3 assessment. Choose this option to send assessment data to an external body. This CTF requires external assessment data.
- Y08/Y04 optional - Export the Y04 or Y08 optional statutory test results.
- CME (Children Missing Education) - This will allow you to generate a partial CTF for either pupils who left the school (CML) or pupils who have joined the school (CMJ). For students who have left the school, when generating the CML you will need to provide a reason for removal.
If you have generated a CTF because a student has left the school you will also need to off roll the student via the Student Profile in the Extended tab. A leaving date must also be added.
Top Tip: Interim statutory assessment results won't be included in CTF exports. These students will show as having No Results on the CTF Exporter screen. This is because only final results are actually used for primary school assessments to prevent duplicate data.